[FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

Sebastian Heutling sheutlin at gmx.de
Tue Jan 4 22:31:06 EST 2005

Hello Marc,

Marc Dietrich wrote:

>Hi Christian,

Erm ... I'm Sebastian ;-)

>Am Sonntag, 2. Januar 2005 01:31 schrieb Sebastian Heutling:
>

>>You don't really need to change any IRQ above slot 9 on a 2.6.? kernel
>>because the slot is 2 (while it was on 12 in 2.4 kernels).
>>

>ah yes, now I understand. You just copied all numbers from top to down.

Yep.

>>>[...]
>>>PCI: Probing PCI hardware
>>>Setting PCI interrupts for a "Utah (Powerstack II Pro4000)"
>>>PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 5 of device 0000:00:01.1
>>>

>>This is the IDE chip which gets IRQ 0 and therefore results in an error.
>>Try changing the value of Slot 1 from 0 to 4 (which is IRQ 14). I don't
>>really think it changes the SCSI timeouts maybe it helps - no one knows
>>for sure ;).
>>

>Ok - did that also.
>

>>>SCSI subsystem initialized
>>>[...]
>>>PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:02.0 (0000 -> 0003)
>>>sym0: <825a> rev 0x13 at pci 0000:00:02.0 irq 15
>>>

>so I guess 0000:00:02.0 is right as oposed to 0000:00:0C.0 with 2.4 kernels.

Yes.

>>>[...]
>>>new BADLUNTBL [ 256] @c7d9aa00.
>>>sym0: SCSI BUS has been reset.
>>>scsi0 : sym-2.1.18m
>>>elevator: using anticipatory as default io scheduler
>>>sym0:0:0:ccb @c7d9ac00 using tag 256.
>>>sym0: queuepos=2.
>>>sym0:0:0: ABORT operation started.
>>>sym0:0:0: ABORT operation timed-out.
>>>sym0:0:0: DEVICE RESET operation started.
>>>sym0:0:0: DEVICE RESET operation timed-out.
>>>sym0:0:0: BUS RESET operation started.
>>>sym0:0:0: BUS RESET operation timed-out.
>>>sym0:0:0: HOST RESET operation started.
>>>sym0:0:0:ccb @c7d9ac00 freeing tag 256.
>>>sym0: SCSI BUS has been reset.
>>>[ hangs here ]
>>>

>>Hmmm strange ... is there anything attached on scsi?
>>

>Yes - a hard disk and a cdrom. Both are working under 2.4 kernels (see the
>boot.log of the 2.4.24-pre1 kernel). I don't use net boot. My system (debian
>sarge) is installed on sda3. Anyway - also on a netboot system, the kernel
>should hang when trying to initialize the scsi controler.
>

>>... wait a second ... looking at the lspci output ... you use a USB PCI
>>card? The IRQ-sharing doesn't work well and the USB PCI card is on the
>>same slot as the SCSI controller resulting in both using the same IRQ.
>>Remove the USB card and check wether it changes anything. If it does
>>work now: Did it ever work with USB using another kernel? If so maybe
>>there is something else wrong, if not it's a HW Problem.
>>I also attached a config file from my powerstack (which I use as a
>>router and runs a 2.6 kernel since june last year or so)
>>

>I didn't checked if the usb card is working under a 2.4 kernel, but it boots
>without problems. I removed it now, just to eleminate possible trouble.
>
>I setup a kernel using your config file and added vga console and offb and
>removed the nfs drivers to get an image smaller then 1.44 Mb (I'm using
>XFree86-3.3.6 with the cirrus 5664 card). This has the same effect than
>before: scsi not working.
>
>It seems, that this config is not for a 2.6.10 kernel. What kernel version are
>you using? Maybe some bad things happened in newer kernels.

I am using a 2.6.8 (I was too lazy to patch & compile a 2.6.9 and wanted
to test 2.6.10 when it's (the sources) in debian/unstable).

>Can you put a working zImage.prep somewhere on the web (<1.44 MB, so I can
>write it to a floppy disk)?

I will do that and tell you later where you can download it.

>How does your boot.log looks like?

Attached it.
Note that I use a Matrox MilleniumII gfx card and XFree4 runs fine
(without any crash) since I got a 2.6 kernel running (although I am not
using XFree because I use the Powerstack as a router/server which has no
Monitor).

Sebastian