43p-140 install issues

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 4 03:04:35 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 04:24:40PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > Do we need that added to powerpc-utils perhaps?
> >
> > Whatever is powerpc-utils ? Mmm, maybe, but then maybe mkvmlinuz would benefit
>
> WTF is mkvmlinuz?

mkvmlinuz is a nice little kernel-derived tool by Jens and me, which allows
one to create a zImage.chrp, or zImage.coff or whatever, from the
arch/ppc/boot/* stuff and the plain vmlinux kernel. It avoids having to chip
the same kernel X times as we did on 2.4 kernels, and can be used as a
kernel-package postinst hook to automate this process.

> > from being added there too, not sure. In any way i believe it has more its
> > place inside mkvmlinuz, than inside the more userland powerpc-utils.
>
> Whatever. Just thought people might want to use it to change kernel
> options on the fly, without invoking mkvmlinuz.

Well, we would need at least a .udeb containing it. IF you can add it to
powerpc-tools, then nice. I think that maybe mkvmlinuz would be also a
candidate to be part of the powerpc-tools, not sure though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther