[FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

Sebastian Heutling sheutlin at gmx.de
Sat Jan 1 02:00:49 EST 2005

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:55 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 03:47:05AM +0100, Christian wrote:
> > Marc Dietrich schrieb:
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >I read this thread about booting a PowerStack with newer kernels.
> > >Motivated by this, I tried to compile a 2.6.10 kernel on my machine (with
> > >sym53c825a onboard). Sadly, the scsi controller always timeouts during
> > >initialisation. I
>
> I also have some strange issues with network support using the standard debian
> 2.6.8 kernel. ifconfig upping the decchip ethernet on the powerstack freezes
> the kernel, and i hear reports of problems on IBM PReP hardware too with not
> working ethernet, altough there is no freeze.
>
> Any idea on this ?

Does it contain the IRQ patch? Where does it boot from SCSI or net? What
PCI-Devices are installed?
I use an older patched 2.6.8 debian kernel. It works fine here except
that I can't insert the eepro100 module via /etc/modules on boot because
some times it crashes on module insertion (or on ifconfig via init
script - I don't remember exactly) and sometimes not. Therefore I do it
by hand after boot up.

Sebastian Heutling