[2.6 patch] defconfig's shouldn't set CONFIG_BROKEN=y

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Tue Dec 13 11:10:28 EST 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:44:37PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 08:31:18PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > >
> > > NACK.  This changes other configuration options in addition, for example
> > > in collie_defconfig:
> > >
> > > -CONFIG_MTD_OBSOLETE_CHIPS=y
> > > -# CONFIG_MTD_AMDSTD is not set
> > > -CONFIG_MTD_SHARP=y
> > > -# CONFIG_MTD_JEDEC is not set
> >
> > That's not a problem introduced by my patch.
>
> It's a problem introduced by your patch because the resulting defconfig
> file becomes _wrong_ by your change, and other changes in the defconfig
> are thereby hidden.

No, CONFIG_BROKEN=y in a defconfig file is a bug.

Either the defconfig doesn't use BROKEN code in which case it's simply
wrong, or it's a wrong workaround (as in the CONFIG_MTD_SHARP case) for
a wrong BROKEN dependency.

And it's a dangerous workaround:

Consider e.g. that "both marked as obsolete and BROKEN" are the best
candidates for "remove obsolete code" cleanups - and there goes your
driver to /dev/null ...

> Russell King

cu
Adrian