back trace when a SIGSEGV

Dustin Lang dalang at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Dec 3 01:27:38 EST 2005

Hi,

SIGSEGV (also known as a "segmentation fault" or "segfault") usually means
your program is doing something wrong like trying to dereference a null
pointer.  (ie, int* x = NULL; *x = 42;).  To track this down, you can use
"gdb" (the gnu debugger) - gnu.org.  Another option is "valgrind" -
valgrind.org - there is a PowerPC port (thanks, Paul!).

However, this mailing list is for _development_ of the linux _kernel_ on
PowerPC.  Your question is not about kernel development so it doesn't
belong here.  (Unless you are sure that your program is correct and
somehow the kernel is unfairly giving you a segfault - which doesn't seem
to be the case, based on your message.)  Find a mailing list or message
board about userspace programming and ask your question there.

Also, you should learn how to write a bug report.  Go to google.com, type
in "how to write a bug report", and read the first ten results.  (For
example: What program are you running?  Something you wrote?  What OS are
you using?  Why do you think the SIGSEGV is something caused by someone
else's code and not your own?  Why does it matter how long the program
runs before it crashes?  Why didn't you type "debug" into google and see
what came up?  (GDB is number 6!  Come on, get with it!))

Happy debugging!
dustin.