Kernel SCM saga..

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Thu Apr 7 09:21:45 EST 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:37:46AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> are there any plans yet how to continue PPC  kernel  development  now
> that Linus (and probably others, too) stopped using BitKeeper?

Well, most of the recent 2.6 PPC kernel development was based on
sending _patches_ to akpm, I don't see how Linus' decision to stop
using BK will significantly affect this.

Also, BK trees don't go anywhere right now, so I guess we can still
use BK to get/maintain the latest official sources for patch
generation. I'm pretty sure Linus and other maintainers will come up
with replacement. Probably it won't be as convenient as BK at first,
but I hope this will be fixed eventually - there are couple of open
source revision control systems out there which look promising.

So, I wouldn't overly dramatize current situation.

--
Eugene