New mailing list specifically for embedded PowerPC development

Hollis Blanchard hollis at penguinppc.org
Fri Sep 24 11:22:13 EST 2004

I could go either way, but I think I'm leaning towards separate lists.

On Sep 23, 2004, at 7:31 PM, Brian Waite wrote:

> I have to agree with Tom. After trying desperatly to keep up in the
> time of too many lists, I would really like to keep the lists to a
> minimum. If one archive can be searched for answers, life becomes much
> easier. It becomes useless to split the lists as everyone on embedded
> needs to be on dev eventually

Probably true...

> and everyone on dev usually ends up on embedded.

I think this is the difference. Hackers with an iBook don't necessarily
know or care about issues in the drivers for this year's new embedded
SoC. In fact they probably don't. They probably care about cpufreq, and
3D acceleration, and why their laptop doesn't wake up when it goes to
sleep.

> It also helps head off rat holes where 2 groups on different
> lists solve the same prolem differently. I vote for one list, but the
> is just me.

I think ultimately the problem is that the embedded list ends up
generating a *lot* of traffic, and that traffic ends up drowning out
non-embedded topics.

-Hollis