Linux-2.6.9-rc2 kernel build for mvme5100

David Gardiner daveg at sonartech.com.au
Tue Sep 21 08:55:41 EST 2004

>>>>You need this patch:
>>>>http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0409.1/1192.html
>>>>
>>>>-Matt

Okay I took a different way, looking at the code and having lots of
problems trying to get it to compile and the similarity between the
PowerPlus series I compiled a pplus kernel with the default config and
the patch above and it booted, yeah, and dumped bits to the console, on
an mvme2604.

So I made some changes Kconfig so that MVME5100 and PPLUS were basically
the same ( The architecture for the 5100 and pplus are similar, so why
was the code separated? arrgh I'm about to be burnt to a crisp, but if
we don't get our fingers burnt we never learn) which the patch for is
attached. This patch also allows the selection of nvram which I want
also and it seems to compile no matter what you select, which it didn't
before. And so selecting MVME5100 it booted and dumped bits to the
console, yeah.

I'm still playing with the config, so please excuse the "weird"
selections in the config which is also attached, but the notable
differences between it and the arch/ppc/configs/mvme5100_defconfig are
that it has selections for a default console, and input devices ( which
isn't needed, I know)  and .....

Ta,
dlg