MPC52xx IDE driver

Yusdi Santoso yusdisantoso at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 12:37:19 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am currently debugging IDE driver for MPC5xxx based
board (the exact board is Lite5200 with MPC5200
processor from Motorolla). The file I am touching is
"drivers/ide/mpc5xxx_ide.c".

My problem is that I can't make the DMA on ATA-IDE
harddisk to work. When I compile with DMA enabled, the
system will stop and after a while timeout with error.
 These are the messages during bootup if the debug
flag is turned on:

> SDMA setup @00313000, l: 1000, nextbd: 0 !
> MAchine check in kernel mode.
> Caused by (from SSR1=41000): Transfer error ack
signal
> Oops: machine check, sig: 7
...dump info then kernel panic...

When I trace through the code, I found that
"mpc5xxx_ide_continue_dma()" always return 0. There
are only two exits from the function and both return
0. The problem is that the return value is checked
inside "mpc5xxx_ide_build_table", if 0 is returned it
goes to error. Is this intentional?

Even if I modify one of the exit code to 1, the system
still can't run the DMA properly. On running "fdisk",
the program complained that the partition format is
wrong. I guess this is because the driver does not
work properly ??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Yusdi