hda errors on iBook G4

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Sat Oct 23 01:30:46 EST 2004

Hi,

I noticed hda status errors in my iBook G4's dmesg quite a long time
ago, but never looked any more... Today I just ran tests with hdparm and
this looks like really reproduceable:

Results are different whether I try it only or more, see below.

Any hint about where I should look at, and what kind of bug may cause
this error?

# hdparm -X69 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting xfermode to 69 (UltraDMA mode5)
# dmesg -c
hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: drive not ready for command

# hdparm -X68 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting xfermode to 68 (UltraDMA mode4)
# dmesg -c
hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: DMA disabled
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success