Linux 2.6.x on 8xx status

Marcelo Tosatti marcelo.tosatti at cyclades.com
Sat Oct 16 12:13:53 EST 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:49:46PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 01:03:29PM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 21, 2004, at 7:59 AM, Smith, Craig wrote:
> >
> > >Genius. That patch appears to work for me as well.
> >
> > The fact this works indicates a subtle memory management
> > problem elsewhere.  I don't know what that is at this
> > point.  This hack is in a piece of generic code that works
> > properly on all other PowerPC cores, so it isn't going to
> > ever appear in the public sources.
> >
> > I suggested this change to a few people hoping the information
> > would lead them to finding the real problem, not that it
> > should be perpetuated as a "fix" to make 8xx work.
> > I don't personally have time to work on this right now,
> > so anyone using 8xx should be looking for the real
> > cause and solution, not using this to create products.
>
> Do you know the real cause Dan ?
>
> As I told you, we are porting our sub-sub-architecture
> to v2.6, and need that bug fixed at some time.
>
> Lots of other people do.

I can try to fix it if you dont have time, do you know what is
wrong and requires fixing? I'm not familiar with low-level PowerPC
memory management, but I can try.

Can you help, or are you planning on fixing this yourself (who
was the necessary knowledge, as soon as time allows) ?

I know Pantelis seems to have necessary knowledge to it. Pantelis?