problem with insmod

Arrigo Benedetti arrigo at vision.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 5 06:26:52 EST 2004

evilninja wrote:

>Arrigo Benedetti schrieb:
>

>>After some research I found that to load a module on the 2.6 kernel one
>>

>yes, http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt is a good
>start for 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrades.
>

>>So I compile and install module-init-tools, but I get the same error.
>>Does anyone know what's going on?
>>

>hm, are you sure the new "insmod" and "modprobe" are the *right* ones?
>the PATH  variable will help here or try to specify the exact path on the
>cmd line. here i have:
>
>evil at prinz:~$ /sbin/modprobe -V
>module-init-tools version 3.1-pre6
>vil at prinz:~$ file /sbin/modprobe*
>/sbin/modprobe:           ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, [...]
>/sbin/modprobe.Lmodutils: symbolic link to `insmod'
>/sbin/modprobe.modutils:  symbolic link to `insmod.modutils'

Yes, I have verified that. Someone has also suggested to check that the
compiler used to build the module
is the same compiler that build the kernel. The Makefile is below and it
seems that this is also ok.

-Arrigo

ifndef KERNELRELEASE

     LINUX ?= /usr/src/linux-2.6
     PWD := $(shell pwd)
     all:
	     $(MAKE) -C $(LINUX) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules
     clean:
	     rm -f *.o *.ko *~ core .depend *.mod.c *.cmd

   else
     obj-m := empty.o

   endif