BriQ & Linux 2.6

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat May 22 17:12:26 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 16:45, Jamie Heilman wrote:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > Well... the base clock isn't what the driver thinks, so it must be
> > hacked. But the driver doesn't provide a clean way to set another
> > base clock, I'm trying to find something better than what the hack
> > in the patch does.
>
> Well progress so far, I have 2.6.6 booting now, had to fumble a little
> to apply one chunk but the rest was easy.  Problems so far: during the
> entire boot, my console is line-noise-like hash[1], until runlevel 2,
> then it starts behaving correctly.  The NICs (I have the PCI
> expansion + extra NIC board) are having some issues....

Linux console starts at 9600 while the briq firmware use a different
speed (I don't remember which). Try adding the speed ot the kernel
command line

console=ttyS0,<speed>

For example

console=ttyS0,38400

>           RX packets:118521 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:1 errors:57244 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:57244
>
> ...and yet, strangly I don't seem to be having any obvious network
> performance problems.

Interesting. I keep seeing reports of problems with pcnet32 driver,
that's weird though.

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>