netconsole & sungem

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Thu May 20 17:53:21 EST 2004

On 20 May 2004 at 07h05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

Hi,

> I have to look more closely at netconsole, does it actually call open() on
> the driver ? If not, beware that sungem will power manage the chip when
> closed,

Well, it doesn't look like (it seems to me that all the init stuff is done
in net/core/netpoll.c::netpoll_setup()).
During my tests, I used modules for sungem and netconsole, and I'm actually quite sure that the chip was up, as I had an ssh session to the remote host... I also tried to issue some stuff via 'netcat -u 192.168.0.4 6666' and it worked. It only looks like the netconsole/netpoll isn't sending anything.

> also the link state machine may not have had time to run...

Shouldn't be a problem neither, as everything is already up when I do my tests.

I'll try find more about all this.

Thanks,
--
Colin