IBM 750GX SMP on Marvell Discovery II or III?

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Tue May 11 09:36:16 EST 2004

Amit Shah writes:

> I was wondering if SMP is supported for the 750 GX processor built on the
> Marvell Discovery boards.

SMP is not supported for 750 processors.

> If not, what's the problem in getting it supported? An older mail by Cort
> Dougan said it was because of TLB invalidate information not being
> broadcasted, but it was a really old mail, has anyone come up with any
> workarounds?

The real killer is that the cache management instructions are not
broadcast.  The fact that the TLB invalidations are not broadcast is
painful but it can be worked around in the kernel.  In contrast, the
cache management instructions are used in userspace.

Paul.