OpenPIC and the 2.6 kernel

John Whitney jwhitney-linuxppc at sands-edge.com
Sat Mar 27 09:11:02 EST 2004

I am working on upgrading a board support package from the 2.4.25
kernel to the 2.6.5, and I noticed that it looks like the OpenPIC
support has taken a step BACK in the 2.6 kernel.

In the 2.4 tree, openpic_hookup_cascade() exists, allowing non-8259
cascades to IRQs other than 0.  This seems to be totally missing from
the 2.6 kernel (82c59 is the ONLY supported cascade type there).  As my
board uses a custom PLD interrupt controller cascaded to an MPC107,
this is a problem.

Have I gotten the wrong repository for LinuxPPC 2.6?  I'm using
ppc.bkbits.net/linuxppc-2.5, which shows up as the 2.6.5-rc1 kernel.
If not, is there a reason this feature is now missing for the OpenPIC
driver?

Thanks,
John Whitney