threaded core dump oops

David N. Welton davidw at dedasys.com
Wed Mar 24 23:25:55 EST 2004

Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> writes:

> > [ Please CC replies to me - thanks! ]

> > Hi,

> > Looking around, after bumping into this bug myself I found this:

> > http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0402.3/0566.html

> > and was wondering if it will be going in anytime soon.  If not, is
> > there anything I can do to help?  I can reproduce the Oops
> > reliably...

> Probably in time for 2.6.6-rc1 (I'm trying to take the term "release
> candidate" seriously, at least for what I'm passing along).  A
> simple program which causes the oops would be quite helpful, too.

Well, it's not as simple as a small C program, but this will do the
job on Debian testing (*):

echo "package require Expect" | tclsh8.4

The problem is that Tcl 8.4 is threaded, Expect isn't, and something
goes wrong when Expect gets loaded into Tcl.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

(*) If no one uploads an updated Expect package anytime soon, the bad
    version is: 5.39.0-1