64-bit user-space on G5? Never, soonish, or unknown?

Albert Cahalan albert at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 2 10:42:42 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 17:38, linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 06:16:28PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > You'd better have a 64-bit ncurses. If you don't,
> > your procps will be compiled incorrectly. Data
> > will get truncated, mangled, etc. -- assuming you
> > can even run the tools at all.
>
> ? My ps, top, w all work fine:
>
> linas at panic:~> file /usr/bin/top
> /usr/bin/top: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> linas at panic:~> file /bin/ps
> /bin/ps: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
>
> They've been running fine, with all manner of mangled and hacked
> 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Try this:
ps -eo drs,trs,tsiz,dsiz,start_stack,esp,eip,nwchan,wchan

(especially when examining a 64-bit process or when
running on the 2.4 kernel)

By "assuming you can run the tools at all" I mean that
you might end up with 32-bit libraries in /lib64.
If you build on a pure 32-bit system this won't happen.