eepro100 load

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at barco.com
Tue Jun 8 17:01:08 EST 2004

A (quick) question:

we're using 82551ER silicon with the eepro100 driver to take in data.
After doing some tests where we tried to eliminate all^Wmost other
resource consuming factors, we came to the conclusion that a lot of the
used processing is done in kernel mode handling incoming data, which
seems to contradict the rumoured efficiency of the hardware/driver.

We are currently looking into some settings (rx buffers) in /proc, but
70-80 Mbps with a 350 MHz should be able to handle this without this
much load (seems to be > 60% in kernel mode for the moment for 56 Mbps).