[patch, 2.6, ppc] some modular framebuffer support

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 1 21:34:21 EST 2004

Let's bring linux-fbdev in the loop, as they probably are the best
placed to comment.

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:26:18AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the following patch allows some accelerated framebuffers (aty128fb,
> atyfb, radeonfb, and rivafb) and framebuffer console support itself to
> be built as modules on ppc.  Tested on a Powerbook Pismo, works very
> well including XFree86 and DRI.
>
> The first hunk suppresses a warning only, not sure about it.

Jens, i am not sure of the wisdom of pursuing this way. I know that
modularizing stuff and even fbdev drivers is a good thing, but i also
know that you plan to use this to modularize most fbdevs out of the
debian powerpc kernel.

I wonder at the implications, since modular fbdevs are loaded well later
than non-modular ones, and we thus lose lots of early log messages,
which may be ok for us hackers with a serial console ready to catch
them, but may be a nightmare for general users of the debian powerpc
package, not to speak about us who will have to do the support job on
those.

linux-fbdev folk, what is your take on this, would it be possible to
somehow get a way to have earlier debug messages, or to bring the
on something such ? I think i remember something about this mentioned.

Or maybe i am wrong, and using a modular fbdev on a not offb supporting
powerpc is just fine.

Friendly,

Sven Luther