how to pass kernel command parameters?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 21 07:38:31 EST 2004

In message <p06010202bc333bc03e48@[192.168.9.5]> you wrote:

> I have a Brightstar box with an MPC823, booting under 2.4.21 at the
> moment. But at the "Linux/PPC load:" line I have to enter a rather
> long string of parameters (IP numbers etc), I guess due to the boot
> ROM code that's part of this little Brightstar device.
>
> What is the proper way to automate the passing of these parameters?

Install U-Boot.

> I'm gathering that all ppc kernel boots have this line to stop at,
> but the passing of parameters to it is automated.

This depends a bit on the boot loader you are using, and/or the Linux
kernel wrapper used with it. If you are looking for  convenience  and
powerful  features,  check  out  what  U-Boot can do for you. See for
example http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxBootArgs

> Should I be constructing a custom ram disk that contains the info? If
> so, what's a good resource about making ram disks and how to do this?

Documentation/ramdisk.txt in your Linux kernel tree?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.