Linux on IBM 9076 nodes

Remco Post r.post at sara.nl
Sun Jan 11 00:02:15 EST 2004

On Jan 10, 2004, at 01:37, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Our lab has recently acquired a 48-node IBM SP configuration based on
>> 4-way "Winterhawk-II" Power3-2 wide nodes with 8 GB memory. I see on
>> the
>> Linuxppc site (boxes) that Linux is known to work on 9076-SP nodes
>> (ours). How difficult is the port? IBM does not support Linux on the
>> 9076 but does on the newer Power4 pSeries units.
>
> We've booted linux on winterhawks in the past, there was one weird
> problem where we allocated memory for RTAS too high but that should be
> fixed.
>
> As pointed out we have no support for the switch unfortunately.
>
> One of our build machines here is a nighthawk (16 way 9076) and it
> works
> nicely in case anyone has a cluster of these lying around :)

unfortunately, IBM wanted ours back when it was traded in for 6 32way
p690's.... we had 8 16cpu nodes ;-)

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going
to end."                                       -- Douglas Adams