Need testers: G3 @ G4 laptops (powerbooks & ibooks)

Ira Weiny iweiny at acm.org
Thu Feb 19 09:14:29 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:21:36 +1100
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> Hi need people who own those machiens, especially the recent iBook2 models
> with a G3 CPU and titanium powerbooks with a G4, to test this patch and
> tell me if sleep mode still works reliably or becomes unstable.
>
> (It won't help machines that cannot already sleep).
>
> Applies on top of current 2.6 but may apply to 2.4 as well..

I applied it to 2.4.23-pre5-ben0.  It failed on Chunk 3.

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : 7410, altivec supported
temperature     : 16 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 500MHz
revision        : 17.3 (pvr 800c 1103)
bogomips        : 995.32
machine         : PowerBook3,2
motherboard     : PowerBook3,2 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
board revision  : 00000001
detected as     : 71 (PowerBook Titanium)
pmac flags      : 0000000b
L2 cache        : 1024K unified
memory          : 512MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

It seems to be working ok.  What is this supposed to fix?  I have, since going
to Yellow dog 3.0, had random sleep "crashes".  I have been trying to figure
out what caused them but they really did seem to be random.

> Thanks !
>
> Ben.

No, thank you, I for one would be lost without your kernel.

Thanks,
Ira