[linux-mac68k] Re: drivers/macintosh/Kconfig (was: Re: Linux 2.6.3-rc1)

David D. Kilzer ddkilzer at kilzer.net
Mon Feb 9 10:00:36 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:16:30PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, David D. Kilzer wrote:
> > NeXT workstations (which are also m68k-based) contain ADB hardware, so
> > it's not Macintosh-specific.
>
> Care to resurrect the NeXT port of Linux/m68k?

Actually, I bought a complete NeXT system (I think it was a slab) 3-4
years ago for this very purpose, but I haven't even unpacked it yet. :)

I've also got an HP 9000/425e (kbd and mouse, but no monitor), and at
least half a dozen old m68k Macs in my basement.

And I started on a port of uClinux to non-MMU m68k-based Macs 3-4
years ago using a Mac SE with 8 MB RAM an ethernet card.  I managed to
build a working Penguin booter for System 7 and a linux-2.0.38 uClinux
kernel, but the combination never got to userland (although I did get
serial console output through 'POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX',
then the kernel tried to initialize the MMU and went into an endless
loop).

First things first, though.  I need to get a cross-dev environment set
up that works (or at least that I trust).  I have yet to build a 2.2
kernel (from mac68k CVS) or a 2.4 kernel (from m68k CVS) that will boot
to userland on my Quadra 660av!  The last working kernel I have for it
is 2.2.16 from mac68k CVS.

Dave