43p-140 install issues

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 31 20:53:10 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 01:51:51PM -0500, Mike Martin wrote:
> I have a 43p-140, It will netboot, start the installer and let be run
> through the motions. It doesn't seem to be able to recognize the cdrom
> or be able to set up the network. This puts a stop on the installation
> pretty quickly. I can't seem to figure it out on my own. Can anyone
> help?
>
> Attached is a console capture from my latest boot using the Dec. 28th
> image from:
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/daily/powerpc/netboot/
>
> Other images are similar.

Could you try to get the /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages out of that box
?

> When the installer gets to configuring the network with DHCP, it
> fails. "tcpdump" on the server interface shows no traffic after the
> tftp image is transfered.

Mmm, could this be similar to :

I am trying the install on a motorola powerstack (utah board), which has a
decchip (de4x5) ethernet, and things are worse, the machine freezes when
trying to ifup the interface :

I get some strange feeling that something is seriously wrong with the 2.6
kernels on prep hardware. Let me CC this to linuxppc-dev mailing lists too.

I will not have time to look into this problem before next year though :), and
probably not before a week or so at that.

Friendly,

Sven Luther