Implementing PowerManagment for a ppc target

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Dec 1 09:53:44 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 22:40 +0100, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to implement Deep Sleep support for a ppc platform based on
> 5200 and I have some questions :
>
>  - How should I "integrate" it to linux, what the proper way ? I've been
> trying #defining CONFIG_PM and
>    using the set_pm_ops operation but my call backs never get called
> when doing a echo standby > /sys/power/state
>
> It justs says :
>
> $ echo standby >
> /sys/power/state
>
> Stopping tasks:
> ===

Looks like a kernel thread isn't properly stopping ... note that on
pmac, I don't call that PM core, I do my own salad which does not
involve stopping tasks...

>  stopping tasks failed (2 tasks
> remaining)
> Restarting tasks...<6> Strange, init not
> stopped
>  Strange, sh not
> stopped
>
>  done
>
> Stopping tasks:
> ===
>
>  stopping tasks failed (2 tasks
> remaining)
> Restarting tasks...<6> Strange, init not
> stopped
>  Strange, sh not
> stopped
>
>  done
>
> I've been trying to look at Documentation/ and the sources but still I'm
> not sure ...
>

>  - How can I ensure that one of my function runs out of I Cache ? Some
> pieces of assembler needs to not
>    acces memory when the last 'orders' are sent. Does just keeping it
> small and aligned enough ?

Can you explain more precisely why and what are your precise
requirements ? (You can catch me on irc eventually)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>