request_irq called too soon ? What's the limit ?

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Sat Aug 28 04:44:59 EST 2004

On Aug 27, 2004, at 2:27 PM, Sylvain Munaut wrote:

> I was wondering why some test ISR I put up didn't get called. Finally I
> found out that the "enable" function of the interrupt controller was
> not
> called.

The interrupt is enabled when you call request_irq().

> At which point may I call this function ? These calls where from the
> setup_arch function.

That's too early.  Interrupts are expected to be installed from
device drivers, so calling it earlier than normal device set up
isn't likely to work and could vary from one kernel version
to another.  Just create some trivial driver that does the interrupt
set up for you.  You can't use it any earlier than that, anyway.

	-- Dan