How did the 2.6 kernel headers get so screwed up?

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Sat Apr 3 08:45:23 EST 2004

John Whitney writes:

> In 2.4 this works beautifully.  Now, in 2.6, I get boatloads of errors:
> redefinitions, admonishments not to use kernel headers from user
> programs, missing constants, you name it.

There is no point discussing this on linuxppc-dev.  Take it to
linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org, but put on your asbestos suit first.

There is a project underway, I believe, to separate out the
definitions that constitute the kernel/user ABI from the definitions
that are purely kernel internals.  I don't know how far they have got.

What I do for things like pppd is have my own sanitized versions of
the necessary kernel headers in the pppd source distribution, and use
those.

Paul.