General question about caching

Christopher R. Johnson cjohnson at gcctech.com
Sat Apr 3 05:27:12 EST 2004

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

1. Isn't it taking up memory?  If not then what does "Cached: 11924kB"
mean in meminfo?  With my embedded application, I desperately need every
byte I can get; 11924k is HUGE in my little 32MB environment.

2. Not sure why its vague that avoiding needless caching in ram of stuff
that's already in ram is silly.  Perhaps the performance hit is minimal,
but its still silly.  At the very least won't there be some needless
data copying?

Which cache is used for file contents?  That would be the one I don't need.