Problems with dma_alloc_coherent()

Michael R. Zucca mrz5149 at acm.org
Fri Apr 2 06:52:20 EST 2004

Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:10:00PM -0500, John Whitney wrote:

> I think we should add such info to a structure which describes the _bus_, not
> _device_.
> I'm not "new-device-model" guru, so I cannot comment _how_ this can be
> implemented though :)

A bus description alone is not sufficient. A generic DMA API should take
both a source and destination device. Between any two sources and
destinations there may be several intervening bridges, which potentially
means programming those bridges and/or doing several address translations.

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149 at acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald