set_rtc_time() cleanup / normalization

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 16 04:21:24 EST 2003

In message <20030515180427.GB20958 at iram.es> Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> And to go against the existing documentation of hwclock(8) so that
> the behaviour depends on the architecture, the exact RTC chip model,
> the phase of the moon:

hwclock(8) does not correctly describe the current  situation.  There
are  already  several  boards where the documentation and the code do
not match. [Please note that I avoid writing  "the  documentation  is
wrong" - I think it is, but YMMV.]

> I personally believe that explicitly implementing something which goes
> against the existing documentation is one of the worst things that
> can happen, espcecially since (after a few years of experience with

If the documentation is wrong, or does not make sense,  it  would  be
even  worse  to  stick  with it just because it is "existing documen-
tation".

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A wise person makes his  own  decisions,  a  weak  one  obeys  public
opinion.                                           -- Chinese proverb