set_rtc_time() cleanup / normalization

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 14 13:47:43 EST 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:30:13PM -0700, Eugene Surovegin wrote:
> >The main reason to remove it is thatit's broken (i. e. causes  kernel
> >crashes) on many hardware configurations.
>
> Well, properly implemented set_rtc_time will not cause kernel crashes.
> I doesn't crash on our hardware. Guess why?

Well, I didn't want to "me too" as an opponent of doing this in the
kernel but I guess I need to.  This type of thing doesn't *need* to
be in the kernel because it can be implemented in userspace.

<snip>

> >and you just removed the only argument to put
> >it into the timer interrupt at all.
>
> Well, I don't see such placement as an optimization, just as some place
> from where it can be done easily without requiring cron, hwclock or other
> usermode stuff.

If cron and hwclock are too heavyweight for your fs then this is
screaming for a simple busybox solution.  I haven't looked at
busybox in a while, most of it might even be there already in a
slimmed down form factor.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter