2.5 and serial console

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Thu May 8 06:20:40 EST 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 09:44:10PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
>  On Mon, May 05, Tom Rini wrote:

> > > It seems CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE is gone. I can not activate it
> > > anywhere.
> >
> > You don't ahve CONFIG_SERIAL_8250 selected either.  But you do have
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE enabled.  So the question is then, (a) why do you
> > have that set (pmac serial console?) and (b) why don't you have
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_8250 set?
>
> I had serial console set. Maybe I screwed my config while hunting for a
> workaround.
> [*] Support for PowerMac serial ports
> [*]   Support for console on serial port

Well that explains it then.  The pmac code is bad and still uses
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE.  It needs to be changed, at a miniumum to
CONFIG_SERIAL_PMAC_CONSOLE, and the driver really should be ported to
the new serial backend.

> Well, I bet such a zImage links in 2.4.

That's tangental.  But I do need to move the weak symbol code from 2.4
into 2.5 (*sigh*, I thought I did that already).

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/