linux x86 binaries on PPC

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Mar 28 07:40:15 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 21:15, Scott Anderson wrote:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > Remember that old debate we had about 2 years ago about using an x86
> > emulator to run x86 binaries on linux/ppc ? Looks like Fabrice Bellard
> > did it ;)
> >
> > http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
>
> I wonder how it compares to bochs:
>   http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

After a quick look, it's much different.

bochs aims to completely emulate an x86 machine, including the
various HW devices, and in a portable way. I aims to run a whole
operating system (linux,windows,ms-dos, ...) within the emulator.
qemu is a dynamic recomiling emulator (thus less portable, though
potentially much faster) and doesn't do any HW emulation outside
of the CPU itself.
It translates syscalls to the kernel in order to run linux x86
userland binaries on linux ppc.

Ben.