Runtime Altivec detection

Hollis Blanchard hollis at austin.ibm.com
Sat Mar 8 05:18:22 EST 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 12:55 pm, Magnus Damm wrote:
> > There's a much better way. The kernel passes down CPU features
> > bits down to userland via ELF AUX tables.
>
> Any pointers where I can find information about that?

I played with this once, though I don't remember the outcome (it was a long
time ago). The ELF AUX table is passed as another argument to main(). I think
there may have been another one in between:
	int main(int argc, char *argv[], int something, struct elf_aux_table *table);
Then you can parse table as you like.

This was from information in the SysVR4 ABI PPC addendum, a link to which can
be found at http://penguinppc.org/dev/library/ .

-Hollis
--
IBM Linux Technology Center