Patch boot/common/relocate.S to start kernel at 0x000c

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Wed Mar 5 15:40:15 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 02:21:35AM +0000, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> If you can find a SMP system that uses XIP, then let's change it.
>
> We should only be writing to kernel text on an SMP system that has
> firmware that requires you to jump into the wrapper on both cpus.

I believe it happens on all ppc SMP systems.  It certainly happens
on powermacs which don't use the wrapper for cpu != 0.

> Dale, instead of changing head.s, can you use your own relocate.s for
> your wrapper? Don't you have to mess around with holding the 2nd cpu in
> the wrapper?

Sure, we could add an ifdef to have the wrapper start the kernel at 0xc like
prep/head.S does.  I'd rather use common code where possible though.

-Dale

P.S.  Note that I'm not proposing any additional writes to low memory.
I'm only proposing that we change the nop at 0x0 to "b .+0xc" .