AW: porting oprofile to ppc

Oliver Oppitz o.oppitz at web.de
Wed Mar 5 03:36:15 EST 2003

I have been playing around a bit with performance counters  on an MPC7441
(eMac), even found an undocumented "issue" with the "retired instructions"
counter: the value is erroneously incremented by interrupts (+1 for each
time entering/leaving the interrupt handler), even though it was set up for
counting only user-mode instructions. I did these tests via some hijacked
system call (vm86), that I adapted to read/write the SPRs. Is no good style,
but works for my purposes.

In any case, I would like to offer my help with the porting project. Maybe
testing for a beginning, as I need to learn something about kernel modules
before being of any help with that...

Regards, Oliver