init does not run on 405GP system

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Wed Jun 11 17:11:21 EST 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:22:15AM -0400, Bill Fink wrote:
> One other simple thing to try if you haven't already is the kernel
> boot parameter init=/bin/bash.

Well, I've replaced init by a statically linked hello-world program. So
there should be no need for any shared library besides ld.so.1, the ELF
processor, but that one is loaded correctly and as far as I can see it
interprets the ELF file right; the right code is loaded (compared the
binary mem content at the entry point with objdump output) and the
correct entry point is called, but exactly after that I don't get an
answer any more. Unfortunately this is the point where the BDI doesn't
help any more because it cannot follow the user space memory mapping.

> gwiz% ldd /sbin/init
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fea0000)
>         /lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)

metis:/tftpboot/solidcard/sbin# file init
init: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

And I don't see any call to the open() system call.

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4