new ATI sleep code freezes

mutex at kerneli.org mutex at kerneli.org
Sun Jun 8 05:28:12 EST 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:16:00PM +0200 or thereabouts, Mich Lanners wrote:
> On   5 Jun, this message from Benjamin Herrenschmidt echoed through cyberspace:
> >> from my XF86Config file...
> >>
> >> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
> >>
> >> But my kernel config says...
> >> CONFIG_PMAC_APM_EMU=y
> >>
> >> The only thing unusual is I am running devfs..
> >
> > Poor boy... ;)
>
> Na. I run devfs on my Powerbook, and I am very happy. Never had any
> problem. I am absolutely certain (even if it may not be true :-) that
> using devfs saves me quite a number of HD spinups.
>
> >> so i checked /dev
> >>
> >> heliosphan dev # find . -name *apm*
> >> ./misc/apm_bios
> >> ./apm_bios
> >>
> >> /dev/misc/apm_bios has perms:
> >>
> >> crw-------    1 mutex    root      10, 134 Dec 31  1969 apm_bios
>
> Mine show this:
>
> mlan at pooh:~$ ll /dev/apm_bios  /dev/misc/apm_bios
> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 2003-05-14 22:42 /dev/apm_bios -> misc/apm_bios
> crw-rw----    1 root     root      10, 134 1970-01-01 01:00 /dev/misc/apm_bios
>
> This is with the Debian devfs package, which _may_ fix up a few things.
> My devfs config says this:

well i'm running gentoo, and the symlink is properly there.

> mlan at pooh:/etc/devfs$ find . -type f |xargs grep apm
> /conf.d/apm:REGISTER ^misc/apm_bios$   PERMISSIONS root.root 0660
> /conf.d/pmud:REGISTER ^misc/apm_bios$   PERMISSIONS root.root 0660
> /perms:REGISTER ^misc/apm_bios         PERMISSIONS root.root   0660

gentoo has devfs configuration in a different place, but I'll dig
through that, see if I can find something similar to that.

> plus this one for setting up symlinks:
>
> mlan at pooh:/etc/devfs$ head compat_symlinks
> # Enable full compatibility mode for old device names. You may comment these
> # out if you don't use the old device names. Make sure you know what you're
> # doing!
> REGISTER        .*              MKOLDCOMPAT
> UNREGISTER      .*              RMOLDCOMPAT
>
> >> are those normal permissions ?  Also, I'm running an enlightenment
> >> battery applet which afaik uses apm layer to report battery level.
> >> So something has to be working. Dave
> >
> > I don't know wtf with devfs & perms, but the problem is here, once you
> > fix that, it should work much better ;)

well(in response to ben) I have a hard time believing that once I fix
permissions it will eliminate a crash that happens 1/20 sleeps. Just
doesn't seem like something a permissions problem would cause. But I'll
fix it and see what happens next week.

> I'm tempted to say: install Debian :-)

right, heard that one before. Although I have to admit your the first
debian user in a while that didn't tell me to rtfm ;-)