OT: wanting to write PCI daemon

Stefan Jeglinski jeglin at 4pi.com
Thu Jul 10 00:22:35 EST 2003

>You may be aware of this already, but it seems like an obvious question
>to ask, so: Are your cards 5V, or are they Universal (compatible with
>both 5V and 3.3V)?  If they're Universal, they will work as-is.  The
>conflict isn't about PCI protocol vs PCI-X protocol (PCI-X is backwards
>compatible), it's about signal levels.

Correct. Our cards are 5V only :-/

>>  But to further our next-gen design,
>>we'd like to go ahead and run a linux kernel on it. That means it
>>will likely be Intel, so already I'm getting seriously close to
>>getting booted here, but this we know how to do.
>
>Aw, c'mon, use one of those cute little TeronCX boards or something
>like that.  :)

Overkill on the PCI :-) We need one slot

Actually, we were looking at something like the following concept(s):

<http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/intro.asp>
<http://www.hushtechnologies.net/hushmini.htm>
<http://www.michael-dieckmann.de/projekt_luefterlose_pc.htm>

>My only comment here is that the phrase "PCI daemon" probably isn't the
>way you should think of it.

ya, I figured that. Thanks for the other comments.

Stefan Jeglinski