insmod ipv6 freezes current linuxppc-2.5 and 2.5-benh

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Dec 13 20:03:32 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:59:39PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 16:55, Harald Welte wrote:

> > > The problem seems to be gcc-related. Debian testing seems to have
> > > installed gcc-3.3.2 (yes, maybe not the best compiler for a kernel
> > > anyway) per default.
> > >
> > > compiling the same kernel with gcc-2.95 results in a working ipv6
> > > module.
> >
> > I did some more testing:
> >
> > Compiles with gcc-3.3.2 and gcc-3.2.3 result in a broken kernel,
> > gcc-3.0.4 and gcc-2.95.4 work fine.
>
> I've been running Ben's tree built with gcc-3.3 for a while (since
> test7-ish) without problems:
>
> What version of binutils do you have? Current from testing here.

the same here.  I can now even confirm the same problem on a different
machine, a dual G4 450, running debian testing.

The actual problem seems not to be an infinite loop, but rather a very
long loop.   IF you wait long enough, it will eventually work.  A
significant delay (i.e. assumed long loop) is also observed while
that I'm loading during startup (ipv6, tulip, dmasound_pmac, ...)

The machine is completely frozen during that loop, not even the cursor
is blinking anymore.

compiling the kernel with gcc 2.95 or 3.0 removes those symptoms.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>               http://www.gnumonks.org/
Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it your lifetime