_PAGE_HWWRITE missing in pte_mkdirty()?

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at lumentis.se
Sun Apr 27 19:31:58 EST 2003

> Joakim Tjernlund writes:
>
> > OK, I wasn't aware that you can have dirty pages without _PAGE_RW.
>
> Yes, think about what happens if a process has a writable dirty page
> (in a private or anonymous mapping) and the process does a fork.  The
> page becomes copy-on-write, so we have to make it non-writable, but it
> is still dirty.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

> Whether the kernel actually ever calls pte_mkdirty on a non-writable
> page is a different question, of course. :)

I don't think the kernel calls pte_mkdirty in this case. I tried it on my mpc862 system and it worked fine.
I was just trying to avoid DTLB errors.

   Jocke

PS.
  Could comment on my previous post about cacheable_memcpy() as well?
  http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-dev/200304/msg00057.html