ibook2r2 & strange freeze.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Apr 27 07:01:18 EST 2003

> The pc was in fbcon_radeon_bmove, so even if it's a fbcon problem, the
> crash is happening into the radeonfb module...
> video=ofonly works fine because it does not use fbcon_radeon_bmove I
> guess...

Well... The only way I see fbcon_radeon_bmove crash this way
would be because of a corrupt struct display.

> > So there is probably some memory corruption going on... I'm comparing
> > other bits of ben8 and ben9 now and see nothing relevants. The changes
> > where in the cache flush affecting cpufreq and sleep, and radeonfb...
> Since the crash occurs in the scoll, if there is a problem with the
> font (corrupted font or something) the scroll computation might be
> wrong, and thus fbcon_radeon_bmove might copy some memory from/to a bad
> area.

I don't think so. But try commenting out setting of the font in the
init scripts and let me know if that helps.

> Unfortunately those bugs are the most difficult to find and fix.
> What I could do is disable some part of the -ben9 patch in favor of the
> -ben8 version, until I find in which part it happens.

Can you try the xmon tricks I told you so I get a disassembly
(only copy the first 2 or 3 lines) and the register dump ?

I'm not sure anything in -ben9 compared to -ben8 explains the
problem if using -ben8's radeonfb in -ben9 still dies. I think
something get corrupt in struct display, it would be useful to
figure out what.

Ben.