ibook2r2 & strange freeze.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Apr 26 20:33:50 EST 2003

> After several hours of kernel compiling (my ibook is not that fast
> ;-)), I found that the latest working patch is -ben8.
> The first non working is then -ben9.

Great, many thanks. That will help.

Can you try now to put drivers/video/radeonfb.c from -ben8 into
-ben9 (and then -ben10 if it works) and tell me if that helps ?

> I can crash ben9 almost reproductibly and xmon is triggered if that can
> help you (I didn't understand how to use the System.map with xmon to
> decipher the stack trace, but I might send xmon output and my
> System.map).
> Note this might not be the same crash as ben10, because xmon is not
> fired with this kernel, although it seems to crash at the early
> beginning of rc.sysinit (I'm almost sure this is something about the
> fonts).

The system.map thing might not help (if the crash is random), but
basically, you just need to copy System.map next to vmlinux (in
/boot typically) and edit yaboot.conf to add a line

  sysmap=/boot/System.map

after the image=... line (and re-run ybin to install the new yaboot.conf)

With this, xmon will know about symbols. Then, you can use the "t"
command in xmon to get a backtrace.

Ben.