undefined IRQs in request_irq

Mark Chambers markc at mail.com
Thu Sep 19 00:39:47 EST 2002

I wrote a driver for our custom MPC860 platform that we've ported linux 2.4.19
to.  When I insmod'd the driver it produced a kernel panic.  I traced it to
request_irq() in ppc8xx_pic.c, where the code calls panic() if the requested
irq is anything other than IDEx_INTERRUPT.  I fixed my problem by just adding
another case.

First, it seems extreme to me to crash the system instead of just refusing the
request.  Am I missing something?

Second, a suggested improvement:  How about having the individual board.h
files include #defines like ENABLE_SIU_LEVEL1, etc. that could be used like
the 'well known' IDEx_INTERRUPTs in request_irq()?

Mark Chambers
Microfirst, Inc.
mchambers at microfirst.com