Shift keycodes on the iBook

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Wed Sep 4 05:21:08 EST 2002

On   3 Sep, this message from Jason E. Stewart echoed through cyberspace:
>> >Is this a hardware limitation, or just a limitation of the current
>> >maps?  If it is the latter, can it be easily fixed?  I'm willing to
>> >provide whatever information is necessary if the problem is just that
>> >the appropriate developer needs information about the iBook keyboard.
>>
>> AFAIK, it's a HW limitation (or at least a limitation of the PMU's
>> firmware), there is no workaround I know about.
>
> The interesting thing is that was what was believed for years about
> the locking capslock key as well...

Ah, but that depends on the specific model of keyboard. At least some of
Apple's ADB keyboards _do_ indead have a mechanical capslock.

I don't know for USB keyboards, but obviously the PowerBook keyboards
have a regular (non-locking) key as capslock. Whether the lock is done
in the ADB driver or in the keyboard controller, I don't know...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |