Location for Linux kernel module support files

Tim Moloney moloney at mrsl.com
Wed Oct 2 05:06:03 EST 2002

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

 > So your kernel driver should create a /proc entry where the rc script
 > can write the FPGA program file to after insmod.
 >
 > If the FPGA program file is to be reloaded by the application, it can
 > just write the new data to the same /proc entry.

I do something like this now but neither of these answer *where* to put
the file that is being copied to the /proc entry.

I want to distribute a standard FPGA program file with the module and
have it loaded at system boot time.  I can create an rc script to copy
this file to the /proc entry.  I can package the module, rc script, and
FPGA file in an RPM.  I just need to determine a reasonable location for
the FPGA file (since I know where to put the module and rc script).

The custom FPGA files can be distributed with their respective
applications and can be packaged in RPMs.

Perhaps there is no good answer to this.  I thought that this situation
happened enough that people had found a reasonable location for support
files.

--
Tim Moloney
ManTech Real-time Systems Laboratory