Location for Linux kernel module support files

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Oct 1 10:32:23 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:46:22AM -0400, Tim Moloney wrote:

> I have written a device driver (module) that needs a configuration
> file.  Where is the standard place to put such files?

There isn't.  Device drivers, being part of the kernel, should not be
reading random files from the user's file system.  If the driver needs
configuration, the normal method is for userland scripts (either
startup or hotplug) to issue commands to poke the configuration into
the driver at runtime.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson