DST flag in NVRAM revisited (was: Re: NVRAM stuck in DST?)

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Fri Mar 29 10:28:30 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 06:18:59PM +0100, benh at kernel.crashing.org wrote:
> >we should just deal with the RTC exactly how its delt with on x86, if
> >you have windows (or in our case MacOS) you tell hwclock the RTC is in
> >localtime and let it deal with it, if you don't have MacOS/windows you
> >tell it you have the RTC in GMT like its supposed to be and all is well.
>
> Which means that during boot, the kernel will have a wrong (local) time
> instead of UTC. That can be annoying.

only for a short period of time, look at debian woody for how they
invoke hwclock, it ensures this period is short.

but in any event its the price you pay for keeping a broken OS
installed and letting it control the hardware clock. it is certainly
not severe enough to justify all these fragile and broken kludges and
kernel bloat.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/