EV-64260-BP & GT64260 bi_recs

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Mar 24 23:22:47 EST 2002

>The beauty of the proposal is that it *is* simple. bi_recs within bi_recs.
>The top level treats the record as one (typeless) chunk of data. I have
>actually requested *more* types (e.g. arrays), and also the saving of
>certain (most?) bi_recs so that loadable modules can consult them later
>(rather than requiring code in the kernel startup to parse the records).
>Cheers!

The kernel startup should stop parsing them. The interface between kernel
& drivers to bi_recs should instead be of the type "find_birec(type)" or
"find_dev_birec(class, id)" for BI_DEVICE ones.

There should be no reason to have to touch the kernel support files when
adding new types of bi_rec nor to have them all parsed in a single
location.

Ben.